Deck the halls, munch on a mince pie & make merry over a glass of mulled wine as we bring you glad tidings of joy from London!
From the lights and Christmas windows of Oxford Street to the Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square, we take a snow capped sleigh ride through Christmases in London past & present
• We’ll trace the story of Christmas traditions including Christmas cards, carols & crackers
• We’ll learn the origin of Boxing Day & strange seasonal terms like ‘wassailing’
• Discover the original ‘Grinch’ who tried to steal Christmas
• Find out which royals introduced the decorated Christmas tree & the eating of turkey
• Virtually ‘pop’ into our glorious galleries for a winter wonderland painting or two
• We’ll uncover the convention of the Christmas pantomime
• Curl up in the company of Charles Dickens as we explore the dark origins of’ A Christmas Carol’ and how it helped shape the way we celebrate Christmas all over the world
Credit: Wellcome Library, London.
The tour will be sprinkled with Simon’s seasonal mix of festive facts, fun & frolics to take us into a healthier and happier 2021!